Saturday, August 16, 2008

Facing the Fear

,
The old saying goes, "Be careful what you wish for you just might get it." Well, the same can be said for prayer. "Be careful what you pray for you just might get it." This is so true for me right now. My prayer has been that God would help me confront my fears and with His help work through them. Since i have been saying this prayer God has continually been calling me out of my comfort zone. In one of my earlier posts i shared how fear has controlled me for so long. Since sharing that God has showed me just how much control i have given fear in my life. My first reaction is regret, then shame and then anger. With all these emotions building up inside i have turned to another old "frienemy", food. Prayer has become more difficult. Most days all i know to say is, "Help me, God." For awhile i believed God was cleaning His hands of me and turning me over to the sin i want so badly want to be freed of but lack the courage and faith to give over to Him. God is proving me wrong there. Instead, He is showing me how badly He disires my freedom as well. God has never stopped caring. He has never stopped listening and God has never stopped loving me. His love for me has never been based on my love for me or anyone else's love for me. What God is doing is preparing me and allowing me to see just how destructive my sin really is and in the process teaching me to lean on Him. I have tried so hard all my life to be strong on my own and hidden from everyone how insecure and frightened i really am. This has only made me weaker and more vulnerable. Now God is telling me to take down the walls and remove the masks. It isn't easy but He is getting me through. God is working on me. He tells me i am worth the time and He is redeeming the time i have wasted. In just the past couple of days God has called me to share with a close friend and with someone else i am only beginning to know,someone who has reached out to me and shown friendship despite the fact she hardly knows me. For these women i am very thankful and it is God to whom i am most grateful. No, He has not given up on me. And He asks that i do not give up either. Whatever He calls me to do in overcoming my fears it is by His strength i can do it!

4 comments:

Mandy said...

I can relate to this post so very much. I can so vividly see God's work in my life in so many areas yet I choose to only focus on the areas where I lack or need or want. Thank you for reminding me that He's there and He's not turned His back on me.

charis said...

Hey Mandy! So glad to have you back and LOVE the red hair. I have been thinking about bringing out the natural red in my hair but i don't think it will be quite as red as yours. I look forward to visiting your blog again. It's such a fun read! Promise to have my blog roll rolling soon and i will share your blog with everyone! charis

Mandy said...

Thanks Charis! For the record, that is a WIG!! A cheap one at that. Notice the devil horns??

charis said...

Wig or no wig it's cool and the horns make a nice touch!